A stunning historic building transformed from an abandoned hospital to a thriving community hub
Located in the Concourse/Highbridge neighborhood, our flagship housing and community development center, includes:
- 132 energy-efficient and affordable apartments, 39 of which are set aside for families coming out of New York City’s homeless shelter system
- The Early Childhood Discovery Center, a Head Start program
- A training center for childcare providers
- Youth programs
- Family support services
- A commercial kitchen that incubates small food businesses
- The Urban Horizons Family Health Center, a healthcare center operated by the Institute for Family Health
Energy Saving Retrofit
We are in the process of implementing our largest energy and cost saving measures to date at Urban Horizons, including onsite cogeneration, installing high efficiency boilers, and cleaning, sealing and rebalancing the ventilation system.
Read more about the UH Retrofit.
Read the UH Water & Energy Benchmarking Report.
- TD Charitable Founcation Housing for Everyone Award for the Energy Retrofit (2010)
- American Planning Association HUD Secretary's Opportunity and Empowerment Award (2000)
- Fannie Mae Foundation Maxwell Award for Excellence for the Production of Low-Income Housing (1998)
- Municipal Art Society Livable Cities Award (1996)