The nation’s largest multi-family, Energy Star certified building.
Opened in 2009 in the Crotona East section of the Bronx, Intervale Green is a symbol of WHEDco’s commitment to responsible stewardship of our planet.
Intervale Green features:
- 128 affordable apartments, 39 of which are set aside for families coming out of New York City’s homeless shelter system
- High-efficiency boilers and hot water heaters
- Energy-efficient lighting
- ENERGY STAR appliances
- Low-flow showerheads, faucet aerators
- Rooftop farm
- Tenant education and maintenance staff training on sustainability
- Street trees that wrap around the periphery of the building
- Nontoxic building materials and finishes
- Art installations that promote environmental conservation
- Active Design elements that encourage residents to take the stairs
Promoting holistic, healthy living
Intervale Green reflects WHEDco’s commitment to provide beautiful affordable apartments that instill families with pride of place. We promote holistic, healthy living among residents through the following initiatives:
- Seasonal tenant farming on the building’s organic rooftop urban farm and greenhouse with the guidance of a farm manager
- Periodic cooking demonstrations and tenant events to introduce children to nutritious foods
- Stairwell murals to encourage stair use
- Dance classes in the Bronx Music Heritage Center Lab
Rooftop Urban Farm
Intervale Green residents grow vegetables, herbs, and flowers on WHEDco’s Rooftop Urban Farm. The rooftop farm fosters a relationship with nature and connects residents through positive social interactions, leading to a greener, healthier community. Follow the latest news about the Rooftop Urban Farm by visiting our blog.
Green roofs collect and reduce storm water runoff and improve the air quality in the neighborhood, which has the second highest asthma rate in the Bronx. By filtering and diverting water from the City’s sewer system, Intervale Green contributes to cleaner waterways and beaches.
Awards & Recognition
- The Association for Neighborhood and Housing Development honored Intervale Green with the 2012 Development of the Year Award
- In 2009, the building was awarded the Charles L. Edson Tax Credit Excellence Award
Please call Grenadier Realty at 718.240.4176, Monday – Friday between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM.