A stunning historic building transformed from an abandoned hospital to a thriving community hub!
Built in 1926, Morrisania Hospital served a population of mostly second generation immigrants for decades before closing its doors in 1976. Its closing was symbolic of the arson and deterioration suffered by the Bronx during the 1970’s and 80’s. The building stood barren as a remnant of darker times until 1997, when WHEDco transformed the desolate structure into a thriving community hub.
Located in the Concourse/Highbridge neighborhood, our first affordable housing and community development center includes:
- 132 energy-efficient apartments, 39 of which are set aside for families coming out of New York City’s homeless shelter system
- The Early Childhood Discovery Center, a Head Start program
- The Home-based Childcare Training Institute
- Family support services that link Bronx Residents to critical resources
- A commercial kitchen that incubates small food businesses
- The Urban Horizons Family Health Center, a healthcare center operated by the Institute for Family Health
Energy Saving Retrofit
Buildings are responsible for 74% of New York City’s carbon emissions and old buildings are the biggest culprits. WHEDco launched a cellar-to-roof energy retrofit of Urban Horizons to reduce carbon emissions, energy use and utility costs.
- An onsite Combined Heat and Power (CHP) cogeneration system
- High-efficiency boilers
- Low-flow showerheads and faucet aerators
- Cleaned and sealed ventilation system
- Energy-efficient light fixtures and bi-level lighting
- Periodic tenant workshops and maintenance staff trainings on sustainability
- TD Charitable Foundation Housing for Everyone Award for the Energy Retrofit (2010)
- American Planning Association HUD Secretary’s Opportunity and Empowerment Award (2000)
- Fannie Mae Foundation Maxwell Award for Excellence for the Production of Low-Income Housing (1998)
- Municipal Art Society Livable Cities Award (1996)
Please call Grenadier Realty at 718.240.4176, Monday – Friday between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM.