An arts-based mixed-use development, innovating affordable housing!
WHEDco and BFC Partners are collaborating on a 426,000 square foot mixed-use development which includes affordable housing; the Bronx Music Hall, a community performance and event space; retail space; and green recreational space. It will serve as a cultural destination and site for music and dance performances, community events, production, and multimedia activities.
- Celebrate the rich musical heritage of the Bronx by drawing upon and restoring pride in its history
- Meet the need for affordable housing options in the Bronx
- Bring housing together with the arts, open green space, and health and fitness initiatives
- Utilize the arts as a means of catalyzing the renewal of a neighborhood rich in history and culture
- Developers/Owners: WHEDco and BFC Partners
- Design Architects: Danois Architects, PC
- Architect for the Bronx Music Hall: WXY Architecture + Urban Design
- Design for the Bronx Music Hall: Local Projects
- Housing: Bronx Commons will include 305 affordable apartments, with a mix of studio, one-, two-, and three- bedroom apartments. The apartments will serve formerly homeless families and individuals, including victims and survivors of domestic violence, as well as low-income households earning between 30% and 110% of Area Median Income.
- Bronx Music Hall: This 14,000 square foot cultural and educational space will be the centerpiece of Bronx Commons. The new, permanent home of the Bronx Music Heritage Center will have a flexible performance space with approximately 250 seats; areas for exhibits; rehearsal spaces for music and dance; digital archives; a café; and outdoor performance/public recreation space.
- Green Space & Public Plaza: Bronx Commons will contain a central courtyard, green roof, and large, landscaped plazas with an amphitheater for social events and space for green markets.
- Retail: There will be 22,000 square feet of commercial space fronting East 163rd Street, with the goal of attracting retailers that will address neighborhood needs.
The development will be located in the Melrose Commons neighborhood of the South Bronx, on the west side of Elton Avenue, between East 162nd and East 163rd Street.
Now Accepting Applications
- Apply online or through mail before June 14, 2019. To apply online, please go to nyc.gov/housingconnect
- To request an application by mail, send a self-addressed envelope to: Bronx Commons c/o Lemle & Wolff, Inc. 5925 Broadway Bronx, New York 10463
- To request an application in person, please go to: WHEDco, 50 East 168th Street Bronx, New York 10452 between Monday-Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm
Only send one application per development. Do not submit duplicate applications. Do not apply online and also send in a paper application. Applicants who submit more than one application may be disqualified.